Primostek is a small village in the south eastern corner of Slovenia, very very close to the Croatian border. It is a beautiful, picturesque area that is a great place to rejuvenate, revive and get back to nature.
The best place to stay in this area is Big Berry, a luxurious lifestyle camp that sits alongside the Kolpa River. I recently spent a couple of nights here and the place has an amazing vibe and a seriously cool BBQ house!
The area is not very touristy at all but there is plenty to discover here! This is my list of 10 recommended things to see or do near Primostek, Slovenia.
1. Sample a Vizir Craft Beer at Vizir Brewery. They have many types of beer here that are brewed on site right through from the palest of ales to a Black Jack Stout. You’ll be able to find your perfect pairing for a hot summer’s day.
2. Chill out on the Kolpa riverside at Big Berry or chill down in the clear, slow running river itself. If you are feeling energetic swim the whopping 40m across to Croatia!
3. Whether you are after a challenging track or a leisurely stroll there are many day hikes or walking trails within the area.
4. Find yourself a decent book and get lost in it while luxuriating in one of the amazing daybeds scattered all over Big Berry grounds. This is a great way to find your own private nook and some peace and quiet.
5. Go river rafting down the Kolpa River. Note this is not an extreme white water river ride; it’s more of a relaxing paddle.
6. Discover Primostek by visiting BIBI Turizem to learn about traditional Slovenian handicrafts and sample some delicious lavender juice and ginger bread cookies.
7. Sample some oils at Pecoric Oils and learn about what each one is useful for. The Macadamia oil was a firm favourite of mine! Closely followed by Pumpkin Seed oil which believe it or not goes amazing with ice cream.
8. Visit the restaurant Gostišče Veselič for some award –winning Pagoca baked by the larger than life Andreja.
9. For a great view of the surrounding areas head up to one of the many local viewpoints. You’ll be able to see both Croatia and the fairy-tale lands of Slovenia for miles.
10. If you feel like a night out on the town and enjoying a vibrant atmosphere. Head to Ljublijana on a Friday night for Open Kitchen. This is an event whereby local chefs set up market like stalls and a wide array of tasty food is available. There is music, alcohol, tables and food ranging from falafel to ultra tender Argentinian eye fillet.
Bonus: If it’s a stinky hot day and you just want some R & R. Chill out in the comfort of air con in your little berry house snacking on fresh berries that you picked from the plantation.
How about you? Have you been to Primostek and have anything interesting to add?