Long-haul flights in economy class can really test your will to live if you are not prepared with a survival kit and a few handy pointers. The tips below will keep you from going off the deep end and help you enjoy your flight and make the most of the free time!
1. Know how long the flight is so that you can plan how you are going to stay sane. It sucks if the flight is 10 hours instead of the 6 you expected!
2. Select your seat in advance if you can to get the best possible seat. Use seatguru.com to learn where the best seats are.
3. Know what movies are available and also be prepared with plenty of other entertainment material eg a book, magazines, music, journal, cards, iPad.
4. Reset your watch to your destination’s time. This will help you start acclimatising before you even arrive!
5. Make sure you bring other survival kit tools like a pillow, snacks, ear plugs and a scarf as this can be used for extra warmth or even a pillow.
6. Take an empty water bottle through security. You can usually fill this up at a fountain post security or ask the air stewardess to fill it for you.
7. Get to the bathroom before everyone else. Avoid peak times such as straight after the meal is served and right before descent.
8. Take a toothbrush and toothpaste or at least gum to freshen your breath. They will help you feel human again!
9. Treat yourself to a do it yourself in-flight moisturising facial. It’s nice and relaxing and will help prevent your skin from drying out.
10. Just relax and make the most of having multiple hours to do nothing! How often does that happen?
11. Have items you will use frequently handy eg water bottle, iPod
12. Make friends with your neighbours. No, you don’t have to have a deep and meaningful unless you want to. But if your neighbour has an aisle seat it’s best to be friendly so they don’t mind when you need to get out.
13. Stretch your legs. Get up and move about every couple of hours. Stretch your legs out in the area at the back or front of the plane.
14. Wear layers and comfy clothes. Layers will allow you to shed as your temperature changes.
15. Take a pen! It makes it quicker and easier to fill in immigration cards etc when you have your own.
Do you have any other great tips to stay sane on a long flight?